[Mailman-Users] problems in posting to a list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 15 01:58:59 CEST 2006

Harold Goldstein wrote:

>thanks for your response
>
>>Any addresses you'd like to accept mail from, add to
>>'accept_these_nonmembers' under 'Sender filters' under 'Privacy
>>Options' in the web interface.
>
>hmmm ... ok ... but why would i be considered a 'non-member' ... i never
>would have guessed to use this.

Or, just turn off your "mod" flag in the membership list (assuming you
are a member).

>>ALTERNATIVELY, include as the first line of your message: 'Approved: <list
>>admin password>' (this is better, since it's totally proof against spoofing.
>
>an excellent approach ... i take it that the <> characters ARE included in
>the above??

No, they aren't. And this is a better method because it is spoof proof.
I.e. allow no one to post just because of who they claim to be -
require the password.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>
and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.034.htp>.

Also note that to use the "Approved: pw" as a first line, it must be in
a plain text part which is the first plain text part of the message.
Also, prior to Mailman 2.1.7, it must not be in any other parts such
as a text/html alternative part, or it will leak to the list.

The better method is to add it as an actual header, but many people's
MUA's will not do this conveniently or at all.