[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:08:52 CET 2006

This all sounds fine. It's trivially easy to add a list of email
addresses to a list (there's a textbox on the admin page that you dump
them into and click a button)

Mass-adding the lists is a bit trickier, I think. However, if they're
all basically the same you can generate one configuration file sans
things like the list name, and then programmatically (e.g., with a
shell script, or whatever you prefer) generate all 90 (was it?) if
your lists. I'm not sure where/how to get this file except by (a)
adding a list using the normal method, and then (b) using config_list
-o <file> <listname> to dump its config. Someone else may know a
better way.

As for the bits 1-3:
1. Templates for messages are stored in
$prefix/mailman/templates/<LANG> -- The welcome message is
'subscribeack.txt' -- On my box templates is a symlink to
/etc/mailman, but YMMV.

2. The simplest way to accomlish this seems to be to (a) set
'default_member_moderation' to  1 in the config files as described
above, (b) set member_moderation_action to 2 (discard: e.g., don't
accept, and also don't tell the sender about it), (c) set
generic_nonmember_action to 3 (discard), and (d) add the sender
address for your java program to the 'accept_these_nonmembers' list.

3. Yep, should be fine.

Someone else might be able to come up with better ways to do the
above. I am far from authoritative. :)

- Patrick Bogen

--
- Patrick Bogen