[Mailman-Users] strange bounce message

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 16 21:23:01 CEST 2005

Anne Ramey wrote:

>A couple of people have sent replies to one of my lists today and
>several of the messages bounced like this:
>
>       ===============================================
> >               THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY
> >           YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE
> >       ===============================================
> >
> > A temporary error occured while delivering to the following address(es):
> >
> >   <pfenno at ncees.org>: 454 TLS not available, must be connected via TCP
> >
> > I will continue trying to send the message until it is delivered or
> > expires.
>
>They've replied without incident before.

Are you saying the list is <pfenno at ncees.org> and replyers received
that bounce instead of the reply going to the list? Are they all in
the same domain? Did the bounces all come from the same MTA? which one?

>It looks like they have
>changed something on their end to require the message to be delivered
>TLS, which the server this message is attempting to deliver to does not
>support, and that there is nothing I can do...is that correct.

Maybe. This may also be a temporary issue with your incoming MTA that
may resolve before the messages expire and they may be ultimately
delivered.

>What can
>I tell the sender to do to prevent this? Any pointers would be
>appreciated.  I've been using mailman for a couple of years and haven't
>run into this before.

Probably nothing, but it may depend on the answers to my first set of
questions.

If in fact something has changed at their end, they probably can't do
anything about it unless they changed it in which case they should
already know what to do about it.