[Mailman-Users] unwinding mailman's use of domains

Heather Madrone heather at madrone.com
Mon Oct 31 00:26:52 CET 2005

At 3:28 PM -0800 10/30/05, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>Heather Madrone wrote:
> >Is there a way to reset the DEFAULT_URL_HOST and
>>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to use host.domain without
> >setting up virtual hosts?
>
>What you need to do is pick one canonical url host and email host and
>set DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to those values (probably
>'www.host.domain' and 'host.domain') and run fix_url to fix all your
>lists.

Thanks.  I've already set DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
(without add_virtualhost) hoping that would be enough.

>Then you need to put a rewrite in your web server to rewrite all the
>other host names to the canonical one (maybe only for mailman).
>
>In Apache, this might look like:
>
>RewriteEngine on
>RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}    !^www\.host\.domain [NC]
>RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}    !^$
>RewriteRule ^/mailman(/.*)  http://www.host.domain/mailman$1   [L,R]

It doesn't look like this is necessary.

>Of course the one big issue I see is the following. Can you access
>www.host.domain from your side of the router?

Absolutely.  On the 10.2.8 server, I have a line in /etc/hosts that looks like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost  domain.com   xxx.local   xxx.domain.com  lists.domain.com   www.domain.com

Which does a good job of telling the Mac which names it ought to answer to.
Other machines on the local network are also handled through /etc/hosts,
and they also have other local machines in their /etc/hosts.  It's all old-
fashioned and Unix-y.  If I had a bigger network, I'd do it on a local
name server.

It also means that I can't tell when my Mailman pages have gone AWOL to
the rest of the world.  My machine always knows where they are, even if
the domain MX entries have gone missing.

--
Thank you,

Heather Madrone <heather at madrone.com>
http://www.madrone.com