[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.6 slowness...?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
Thu Jul 21 04:21:40 CEST 2005

On Jul 16, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Short version -- all good tips; many thanks.  We're investigating them
> all, but as you suggested, we're changing one thing at a time.
> Checking them thoroughly takes a little while, so I probably won't be
> able to report anything intelligent back on our results for a week or
> so (gotta wait for peak usage, for one thing).

Thanks again for all the tips.

To make a long story short, we dived into all the configurations on our
server (anti-spam, anti-virus, sendmail, mailman, DNS, etc.).  There
were several culprits, but most of the issues revolved around sendmail
-- changes from the anti-* guys increased timeouts, more rigorious
checks of various things (that turned out to be redundant for mailman
posts), etc.  So we solved the vast majority of our issues by tweaking
sendmail and other configs -- not so much in mailman.

The key insights offered here were the fact that mailman serializes its
connections to the MTA -- once we understood that, that really narrowed
down the possibilities about where the true bottlenecks were.

Thanks all!

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} jsquyres at osl.iu.edu
{+} Post Doctoral Research Associate, Open Systems Lab, Indiana
University
{+} http://www.osl.iu.edu/