[Mailman-Users] Mailadress in Header

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jul 17 17:38:33 CEST 2005

Christian Vierkant wrote:

>I have a little issue with all my mailing lists. For every mailinglist
>there is always one fixed user (in the sample below
>some.user at somewhere.com) appearing in all outgoing messages.
>
>We are using Mailman 2.1.2 with Postfix 2.0.14. Here a sample from a
>mail sent to a different user than in this header:
>
>[...]
>    by mailmanserver.somewhere.com (Postfix) with ESMTP
>    id 0C14870BF; Thu,  9 Jun 2005 08:45:29 +0200 (CEST)
>[...]
>
>Does this look like a mailman, postfix or provider problem?

It looks like qmail at smtp.provider.com.

Presumably, <some.user at somewhere.com> is a list member even though not
the recipient of this example. It appears that Mailman on
mailmanserver.somewhere.com is delivering the post to Postfix on the
same machine in an SMTP transaction with multiple recipients. Postfix
adds its Received: header and then delivers the post in one or more
SMTP transactions, each with one or more recipients. This particular
transaction was from Postfix on mailmanserver.somewhere.com to qmail
on smtp.provider.com and presumably had multiple recipients, one of
whom was the recipient of this example and another of whom was
<some.user at somewhere.com>. Qmail then added its Received: header and
picked one of the multiple recipients to name in "for ..." even though
there were other recipients as well.

If this scenario is correct, and this issue is significant, you could
set

VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

in mm_cfg.py to cause all posts to be sent to one user per SMTP
transaction, but see
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.012.htp
for performance considerations.