[Mailman-Users] Authentication, portal integration, etc.

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Jan 6 22:23:01 CET 2005

Hey all, I hope your holidays went well.

I have a few questions that I hope some one can answer or point me in
the correct direction. I'm a long time admin of Mailman installations,
but I was just recently given a project that would appear to stretch
what I know already about its internals.

I work for a university, and we run about 1600 mailing lists on a
server using *groan* CREN ListProc. Obviously, we're looking to get
away from that to something modern and waaaay more user serviceable.

To take advantage of a migration to something modern and easier to
manage, such as Mailman, I would like to fully integrate Mailman into
our university's web portal. This portal, which is single sign-on,
offers a slew of services for students and staff, and I would like for
these people to also be able to maintain their university mailing list
subscriptions through it. Ie, after they're signed on and authenticated
using our webauth system, be able to view which lists they are
members/owners of, be able to change their subscription options, unsub,
etc.

I would also like to maintain this functionality for our non-university
list memebers, ergo, present them with the "traditional" mailman user
interface.

So the questions:

1) Authentication. How could one make a web-based single sign on system
work side-by-side with Mailman's standard authentication? I've read
about Mailman 2.1.x having module capabilities, but I've looked around
and found no docs which describe this or the API.

2) Does anyone know of an organization which has already tackled
something like this?

TIA
/dale