[Mailman-Users] Search and import

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Aug 10 11:29:51 CEST 2005

At 1:53 PM +1000 2005-08-10, Kai Hendry wrote:

>  Is there some general faq about making mailman archives searchable? I.e.
>  usable.

	You should search the Mailman FAQ Wizard at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> before posting questions
like this.

>  I have a bunch of emails from another system that I wish to import
>to mailman.

	Not a problem.  The answer is in the FAQ.

>  I don't think I have access to mailman directly as my hosting company
>  set it up for me. So any tips of how I send these mails and maintain the
>  date?

	That's a problem.  If you want to import archives from another
list, you have to have command-line access.  In this case, you'd have
to ask your hosting company to do it for you.

	The issue here is that Mailman was never designed to be abused in
the way that hosting companies are now doing.  It was intended to be
something that an organization sets up for itself, and where you've
got complete control over everything yourself.  It was never intended
to be used in a hosting environment.  People who abuse it in that way
need to provide a lot of support to their hosting customers,
otherwise you lose much of the functionality.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755