[Mailman-Users] Has anyone successfully installed Mailman onFedora Core 2?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Nov 30 11:41:04 CET 2004

At 1:03 PM +0900 2004-11-30, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>    AC_CHECK_HEADER(Python.h, , got_python_h=yes)])
>    if test $got_python_h != yes -a $os = linux; then
>      echo 'If you're on Linux, you have the "binary distro no -devel
>rpm" bug!'
>      echo 'Switch to an Industrial-Strength OS such as NetBSD immediately!'
>      echo 'Gentoo Linux will do, too.'

	But then you have to do this for every OS in existence.  You'd
have to wrap a conditional of this sort around every single file that
building Mailman might require, but which is not included as part of
Mailman itself.

	I'm sorry, but this is a totally non-scalable suggestion.  If all
we had to do was to support a single OS, that would be fine.  But we
can't do everyone's job for them, and if the RPM builders want to
have multiple different versions of Python (or whatever else Mailman
might depend on), then they need to take the responsibility of
dealing with the resulting issues.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755