AW: AW: [Mailman-Users] Unable to get Mailman up and running withqmail/vpopmail

Terry Allen hmag at ozemail.com.au
Sat Nov 27 00:34:54 CET 2004

>Terry, Mark and of course everybody else on the list,
>
>I didn't want to sound rude or being not thankful about what the mailman
>developers or ist community have done.  I really like mailman.  I am trying
>to get mailman up and running for the past two weeks and I am doing this in
>my sparetime for a hockey club for free.
>
>All I meantis that it is very difficult to know what to do when everybody
>and every tutorial is offering a different solution.  I understand that it
>is possible to install mailman in any choosen location, but some basics
>should be the same, at least when we all talk about the same mail client.
>So when running mailman together with qmail/vpopmail the way is either to
>use is -with-cgi-gid=mailman or -with-cgi-gid=VCHKPW.  Do you knwo what I am
>trying to say?
>
>When Jordi offered me his help and I really appreciate any help!!!  He/she
>wrote -with-cgi-gid=apache.  In this case it is absolutely no problem to
>understand that my Apache user/group is "nobody" so I would have to change
>it to -with-cgi-gid=nobody.  So there I see differences on every system, but
>I am missing a main road to success.  Why is that not possible?
>
>So I hope everybody got my point now.  Thank you very much to all of you
>offering support for free!!!
>
>Alex

Hi again,
	Indeed, I knew what you were saying, but the variants of so
many operating systems makes it nigh on impossible to have things so
easy.
	Like you, I have been struggling with Mailman & trust me,
once you nail it, you will wonder exactly where you went wrong & why
when it was so obvious.
	I found the combination of these 3 tutorials the best for my
system (Mac OSX w/POostfix), but you'll need to substitute your
system's paths in many places:

http://www.afp548.com/articles/Jaguar/mailman21-new.html
http://www.hesketh.com/publications/mailman_made_easy.html
http://www.afp548.com/Articles/mail/python-mailman.html

	My suggestion is to get the command line way of creating
lists working firstly, then look at fixing up the web interface - if
I can help you out, I will try.
--

	Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
	hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd,	Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
Internet -
	WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
EMAIL: hmag at ozemail.com.au
Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400