[Mailman-Users] selected members to announcements only? (newbie)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Jun 25 16:47:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:31:55 +0200
Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 2:08 PM +0100 2004-06-25, Jason Davies wrote:
>
> >  I just walked into one of those etiquette discussion joining this
> >  morning, didn't I?:-)
>
> 	Yup.  Don't worry about it.  ;)
>
> >  Some members of the list wish to receive announcements only rather
> >  than the rather messy  (but on-topic) discussions that have grown
> >  up. Is it possible within the same list to do this (eg to only have
> >  them receive my posts?) Or should I set up an announcement only
> >  list entirely separately? Thanks for any help (I suspect the latter
> >  but you never know...)
>
> 	My advice would be to set up a separate announcement-only list.
> Those who care will move, and you can send announcements to both.
> That way, the people who want to continue discussing things won't
> have to change anything, and the people who want to reduce their load
> are the only affected users.

Brad & Jason,

That's roughly what I have set up for bogofilter -- a users list, an
announcements list (moderated), and a developers list.  The lists aren't
large and there's significant overlap among the subscribers.

Here are the numbers:

  224 on users
   97 on devevelopers
  222 on announce

  303 only 1 list
   78 on   2 lists
   28 all  3 lists
  409 total

When I have a new release my practice has been to send it to users and
announce.

Regards,

David