[Mailman-Users] "from" column question--how can we get our name to appear instead of the email address?

Ian A B Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 18:05:16 CEST 2004

--On Tuesday, June 29, 2004 7:14 pm -0400 "Avi M. Spiegel"
<amspiegel at americansforkerry.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>

> We are trying to send out a mailman message.  When people receive our
> message, the mailman email address is listed in the from column and people
> think it's spam.  How can we make it so that the name of the person
> posting is listed in the from column?

By default, that shouldn't happen. The From: header shouldn't be touched.

Check that the header munging settings in the general preferences for the
list are untouched.

Of course it *could* be that the mail client is at fault. It has several
header fields that it could be looking at. If its looking at the sender
field instead of the From: field, then change the settings in the mail
client, or get a sensible mail client if you can't fix that.

> When I send messages from my Outlook account to any other address its says
> my name in the From box.  When I send messages to the mailman listserv it
> lists the email address of the listserv in the From box.

A listserv isn't a mailing list. Its a rival mailing list manager. Calling
it a mailman listserv (actually, Mailman LISTSERV is like calling your
vacuum cleaner a Dyson Hoover - calculated to upset both Dyson and Hoover,
because Dyson don't make Hoovers.