[Mailman-Users] How to get "List creator's password" from root?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 12:23:54 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 10:26, Rajasekaran Deepak wrote:

> Newbie question: I am not able to locate the admin who maintains
> Mailman on
> the server. I need to create a new list. How do I get a "List creator's
> (authentication) password" for use in
> <http://example.org/mailman/create>
> from the root login?

In common with many UNIX passwords, you cannot retrieve site admin,
list creator or list administrator passwords, even as superuser,
because they are stored in an encrypted form.

You can however reset them to a given value. In the case of site admin
and list creator passwords you need to run the $prefix/bin/mmsitepass
script; run it with the -h option to get its usage.