[Mailman-Users] How to approve a moderated post via email reply?

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Tue Oct 14 14:29:23 CEST 2003

Merle,

1. The format is "Approved: password".  But.

1.a.  This should be a header - but few email clients (MUAs) support
adding a new header.

1.b.  Your other choice is to make sure it is the first line of text.
If you are sending in HTML format, it won't be.

2.  You are sent a message with two attachments.  The main message tells
you you have to moderate something.  The first attachment is the
original message to moderate.  The second attachment is the instruction
message.

2.a.  You have to reply to the instruction message to approve or
disapprove the message.  This can be very difficult with most MUAs.

2.b.  The alternative is to compose a new message.  Make sure it is to
the listname-request address (which it would be if you replied to the
second attachment message).  Make sure it has the same Subject.  This is
particularly important because Mailman is looking for "confirm ..." with
the long string following to identify the message being approved or not.

Hope this helps.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own