[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Mar 2 02:23:03 CET 2003

Definitely install it on your Linux box.  If you read the dependencies you
will see that the box needs to have a Mail-server running on it (Sendmail or
Postfix work just fine).  You also need Apache (the web-server) configured
and running - the standard configuration should work just fine.

You will need Python version 2.2.x running on the box for the latest version
of Mailman to work (version 2.1.1.).  You should also make sure that your
Linux server is defined properly in DNS and that it's host name resolves
properly on the box as well as locally (use the hostname command to figure
out what it "thinks" it's host name is).

With all that in place and working (which is not a lot since most of that is
standard), then you can download and install Mailman from source very
easily.  Down load Mailman from Sourceforge.  It will come as a big file
named something like: mailman_2.1.1.tar.gz
Expand the file using the following command:  tar -xzf mailman_2.1.1.tar.gz
This will create a directory named "mailman": cd mailman
Now read the file "INSTALL"  it will tell you to create a user on your
system named "mailman" and a group on the system named "mailman", and then
it will give you two commands to run:
  ./configure
  make install

You may need to add some switches to ./configure if you are running some odd
variants of a Mail-server or web-server.  For specific instructions on
various Mail-servers read the README files that are in the same directory as
the INSTALL file.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes