[Mailman-Users] how to create an announce-only list / newsletter / admin-post only list

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri Jun 21 11:20:12 CEST 2002

Nils Vogels wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 11:54:13AM -0400, Scott Courtney wrote:

> > I don't mean any disrespect to your views, but I'm still unable to come up with
> > any non-spam reason for blocking unsubscriptions. If someone can think of one
> > that I've overlooked, I'll gladly stand corrected. :-)
>
> One other issue that I have, where the feature might come in handy is this:
>
> Imagine this: I've got a nested mailinglist, like this:
>
> mailinglist1
>   - user1
>   - user2
>   - mailinglist2
>     - user3
>     - user4
>   - mailinglist3
>     - user5
>     - user6
>   - user7
>
> Should anyone use the option 'lost password' option for maillinglist2, they would
> be able to get the password to control options such as unsubscribing, since
> they know the address the posts go to. For obvious reasons, I /really/ do not
> want that ...

a possible solution is to make the top-level list an "umbrella" list.
you can specify special requst handling for these lists (i.e. all
administrative msgs can be sent to <subscribed_addess>-owner instead of
just <subscribed_address>. that would imply you must not have real
subscribers on the top-level list, but that should be acceptable.