[Mailman-Users] Group write permissions necessary?

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Tue Apr 24 00:51:45 CEST 2001

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 03:39:34PM -0500, Pug Bainter wrote:
> Marc MERLIN (marc_news at valinux.com) said something that sounded like:
> > Yes, as soon as  root or some other privileged user  runs a mailman command,
> > config.db will  be owned by  a user other than  mailman, and your  list will
> > stop working.
>
> Silly question. Why don't the programs set the proper permissions and
> ownerships? It seems that since it's stored in the Defaults.py that it
> could do that.

You  want to remove group  writable on the directories, right?
The programs, if run with a UID different from mailman or root cannot change
their UID to mailman and write in those dirs anymore.
Only root and the mailman user will  be able to recreate a new config.db, so
your mailman cgi which only has  mailman group permissions, won't be able to
create a new config.db. Same thing for the mail gateway binaries.

My  securelinux patch  fixes this  to make  sure everything  is UID  mailman
before writing config.db

Marc