[Mailman-Users] mail domain constraints on membership and posting

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 17:20:34 CEST 2000

I'm bringing up Mailman to take over from a mixture of older home
brewed programs and majordomo.

I'm considering developing some "enhancements" to Mailman which I'll
describe below because I cannot see how to achieve some of our
objectives using current Mailman facilities. But I could be wrong so
if anyone can tell me how to avoid doing the development I would
appreciate hearing from you.

Take the following scenarios:

1. Mail lists where people with e-mail addresses in certain mail
domains (typically inside our business) are free to subscribe without
approval, where users outside these domains but inside specific other
domains have to be approved, and all other subscription attempts are
rejected.

2. Mail lists with members from both inside and outside our local
mail domain, where posts from e-mail addresses inside our local mail
domain have to be approved but posts from outside it do not.

I have it in mind that a tidy solution to such scenarios is for mail
lists to have some extra attributes which are lists of mail domains
and for some of the list configuration privacy options to be expanded
to take account of these mail domain attributes.