[Mailman-Users] Problems creating a list

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Feb 10 22:27:34 CET 1999

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:09:58 -0600 (CST)
Christopher Lindsey<lindsey at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Anyhow, RFC 822 says that the localpart of an addr-spec is
> comprised of either an atom or quoted-string.

I don't have time to quote chapter and verse right now.  However the
local part (the user ID) can be case sensitive.  It usually isn't,
but it can be and on some unnamed platorms it is (I know CLIX's
default sendmail installation was cese sensitive, but that's a long
time ago).  Automatically mutating the case of local parts, in
whatever fashion, unless you are guaranteed that the local platform
is case insensitive (we're not), is a Bad Idea.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
(Contractor)                             Internet: coder at kanga.nu
---------(*)                    Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...