[Mailman-Developers] Errors installing Mailman 3.0

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Nov 22 21:28:12 CET 2010

On Nov 20, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Jessy Kate wrote:

>I'm trying to get mailman 3.0 installed in a fresh virtualenv with python
>2.6 on ubuntu 10.04. I've sent messages in the irc channel a few times, but
>no response there. Is the channel still an active place to get help?

It is, but the traffic is low so I don't watch it too closely.  Please 'ping
barry' to get my attention about Mailman 3 issues.  I'm always online during
working hours EST (currently UTC-5), though I will be offline Thursday and
Friday for the USA Thanksgiving holiday.

>I've stumbled my way successfully through a few errors, but need some help
>now. I've been following the instructions at:
>http://packages.python.org/mailman/docs/START.html
>
>And using the package at
>http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mailman/3.0.0a6
>
>After running bootstrap.py, when i run bin/buildout, i get the following
>buildout errors::

One thing to keep in mind.  Since the a6 release, a new version of buildout
was released too.  This bug affects Mailman:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/zc.buildout/+bug/659231

A workaround is to add this to buildout.cfg:

include-site-packages = false

and this fix is in the bzr trunk.  However, even with this change, I am having
trouble building a6 from the tarball, either inside or outside the
virtualenv.  I don't know what the problem is.

>While:
>
>  Installing.
>
>  Getting section docs.
>
>  Initializing part docs.
>
>Error: Missing option: buildout:allow-hosts
>

>Both of these were fixed by adding them as empty variables to my
>buildout.cfg:
>
>find-links =
>
>allow-hosts =

I have not had to add these.

>I then get two zc.buildout recipe errors-- specifically for
>z3c.recipe.sphinxdoc, and z3c.recipe.filetemplate. Installed those using
>pip, and kept going. But now I get:
>
>(mailman)1219 jessy at moltencore:~/src/mailman/mailman-3.0.0a6$ bin/buildout
>
>Develop: '/home/jessy/src/mailman/mailman-3.0.0a6/.'
>While:
>  Installing.
>  Getting section filetemplates.
>  Initializing part filetemplates.
>
>An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
>
>recipe being used:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line
>1660, in main
>
>    getattr(buildout, command)(args)
>
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 416,
>in install
>
>    [self[part]['recipe'] for part in install_parts]
>
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 964,
>in __getitem__
>
>    options._initialize()
>
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line
>1051, in _initialize
>
>    self.recipe = recipe_class(buildout, name, self)
>
>  File
>"/development/virtualenv/mailman/lib/python2.6/site-packages/z3c/recipe/filetemplate/__init__.py",
>line 63, in __init__
>
>    orig_distributions, ws = eggs.working_set()
>
>  File
>"/development/virtualenv/mailman/lib/python2.6/site-packages/zc.recipe.egg-1.3.2-py2.6.egg/zc/recipe/egg/egg.py",
>line 101, in working_set
>
>    **kw)
>
>TypeError: install() got an unexpected keyword argument
>'include_site_packages'

This looks related to the line added to a7's buildout.cfg above.  However, as
I mentioned that doesn't seem to fix the problem for a6.

When I build a tarball for a7 from the bzr trunk, I have no problem unpacking
the tarball and building it using the instructions on the web, with or without
a virtualenv.  I'm doing all this on Ubuntu 10.10.

The best advice I can give right now is to grab the Bazaar trunk by doing:

bzr branch lp:mailman

and running it from there.

Cheers,
-Barry