[Mailman-Developers] mm-handler 2.1.10 (was:beforenextrelease:disable backscatter in default installation)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 29 17:37:38 CET 2008

Kenneth Porter wrote:

>I don't have any preference. My version does depend on the presence of the
>syslog module, and I don't know how commonly-installed that is. But I don't
>know under what systems the debugging to stderr is supposed to work. Is
>that a Sun thing?

I just checked, and my CentOS 5 system only has Sys::Syslog and not
Unix::Syslog. It might be worthwhile to provide your version plus a
patch to go back to the old DEBUG w/o logging. OTOH, Unix::Syslog is
available from CPAN, DAG, etc., so I don't think it's unreasonable to
expect people to be able to get it.

As I understand it (possibly wrong), the way this

	if ($DEBUG) {
		$to = join(',', @to);
		print STDERR "to: $to\n";
		print STDERR "sender: $sender\n";
		print STDERR "server: $server\n";
		exit(-1);
	}

works is it exits with an error, so sendmail returns an undeliverable
status/notice containing the script output.

Obviously, your logging is much nicer.

I have another question since I don't know sendmail. Does sendmail
execute mm-handler at incoming SMTP time, and if so, does an error
exit from mm-handler result in an SMTP failure status being returned
to the sending MTA?

If so, it seems that rather than just dropping a 'bad' message as
mm-handler seems to do when $BounceUnapproved = 0; and $BounceNonlist
= 0;, wouldn't it be better to exit with a failure status.