[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jan 2 03:14:36 CET 2006

First let me say that I think JC and Brad are doing a great job
moderating the lists, and I /greatly/ appreciate their help with this!

Second, I think there's one more use case that might work well for
general help lists like mailman-users (but not mailman-developers).
There should be a way for non-members to "self-moderate", essentially
using a technique similar to subscription confirmations.  If you were a
non-member poster who replied to the confirmation, your message would go
through.  Non-confirmed posts would be automatically discarded or
bounced after a certain amount of time.

Come to think of it, a list like mailman-developers could use a variant
similar to the confirm-and-approve for subscriptions.  Admins would only
see confirmed messages in their queue.  At that point, most spam should
be deleted and the moderator only as to decide whether the message is
on-topic or not (something that will always be a judgment call).

-Barry