[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 27 03:09:25 CEST 2004

Joe Rhett wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 04:44:35PM +0900, Tokio Kikuchi wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be better to introduce '--urlhost=' option and keep '@' for
>> backward compatibility?
>>
>> $ bin/newlist --urlhost=www.dom.ain listname
>> or
>> $ bin/newlist listname at www.dom.ain
>
>I agree with the logic, but I'd like a method to create listname at domain
>-without- altering the urlhost.
>
>	$ bin/newlist listname at mailhost
>	..seems intuitive but breaks compatibility
>
>	$ bin/newlist listname --mailaddr=listname at mailhost
>	..would suit my needs as long as urlhost was left alone

You already have the ability to set host_name (which is the e-mail
domain) on the lists General Options page or with bin/config_list.
Granted, it's not as convenient as being able to set it to other than
its default with bin/newlist, but I think most people need to fine
tune a list after creation anyway.