[Mailman-Developers] Patch: Optionally Suppressing List Headers

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:32:58 -0400

    JRA> That comment troubles me.  Isn't the point of object oriented
    JRA> design pretty precisely to avoid the need for such comments?

The issue here is that in essence the patch is changing the schema for
the list configuration database.  In that case you have two choices:

    - You can run an external tool off-line that walks over all the
      databases and updates their schemas.  This is essentially what
      Peter is suggesting you do with config_list.

    - You can update the schema "on the fly" as you load each new
      database.  This is the approach favored, and used, by Mailman.

For the right way to update the schema, e.g. when you add a new
attribute to the MailList object, see Mailman/versions.py.  It's a
horrible hack of code, but it does the job.  You'll also need to
update DATA_FILE_VERSION in Version.py.

conspicuously-not-commenting-on-the-patch-itself-ly y'rs,
-Barry