[Merge] lp:~futatuki/mailman/python-doc-url into lp:mailman/2.1

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 15 20:54:50 EDT 2018

I have mixed feelings about this MR.

On the one hand, it is valid and represents a significant amount of work, and I hate to just ignore it.

On the other, I have concerns. While it is true that the URL http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting-operations doesn't go to the relevant Python 3 section of library/stdtypes.html which is https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#printf-style-string-formatting, that Python 3 section is not so different from Python 2 as to be misleading.

Likewise, the reference to http://docs.python.org/library/re.html goes to the Python 3 page which is not so different from Python 2 as to be misleading, and the reference to http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-re.html which gives a 404 is only in the 'ca' mailman.po.

None of this is really a reason to not fix these things, but my concern is what will happen on 1 January 2020 (see https://pythonclock.org/ ). Are we changing these wrong but not so bad URLs to ones that will 404 in less than 18 months?
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~futatuki/mailman/python-doc-url/+merge/349626
Your team Mailman Coders is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~futatuki/mailman/python-doc-url into lp:mailman/2.1.