[ mailman-Bugs-1218827 ] please do not put the list footer in attachment if possible

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 16 20:09:06 CET 2006

Bugs item #1218827, was opened at 2005-06-11 16:27
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by suso
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1218827&group_id=103

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I manage a list, for a long time it was running on mailman 2.0.11,
now it was upgraded to 2.1.5

I was happy to see that I could set the list language to our
language, but soon people started to complain because of the list
footer.

The old version has just added the footer at the bottom of every
message, and we never had a problem with that.

The new one tries to be smart, and from time to time it puts the
footer in another mime part, with different encoding.

While I realize that this is good in certain cases, most of the time it
is useless.

Our list footer contains ascii characters only. Those ascii
characters could be simply added at the end of any latin1, latin2,
or utf8 messages without any problem.

Now it seems that even though I did not put any 8 bit characters in
the footer, mailman always kept the footer latin2. (because of the
list language).

Now I have set the list language to english, so we have the same
footer, but this time it is (correctly) us-ascii.

Still, sometimes I receive emails, where the us-ascii footer was
not added at the end of an email. Today for example there was a
utf8 mail on the list, and the footer came as an attachment.

Please try to find a way to recognize the possible combinations,
and try to avoid creating a new attachment. It seems that most of
the list members use some microsoft email clients, and all but one
m$ clients don't show the footer inline.

And all the clients (opera and netscape too, I was told) shows the
attachment sign for all these messages, and people don't know
which mails have "real" attachments, and which ones have only
the footer attached.

Cheers,
Gabor

Comment By: Suso Banderas (suso)