[Linux-SIG] Revisit of PEP 394 -- The "python" Command on Unix-Like Systems

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jul 31 13:47:28 EDT 2017

On Jul 26, 2017, at 00:29, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> At the PEP 394 level, what I'd personally like to see us do is to
> split the "Recommendations" section into two separate sections:
> "Python User Recommendations" and "Platform Publisher Recommendations”

I’d like to keep PEP 394 as short and proscriptive as possible.  I’ve always read PEP 394 as being aimed at “platform publisher recommendations”, i.e. distributions who provide.  I think a user guide would make a good companion (i.e. separate) PEP.

> For Fedora for example, we think that dropping "/usr/bin/python" from
> the repositories entirely would be too large of a compatibility break,
> whereas we're comfortable with the idea that by 2020, it will be
> reasonable to require that anything still running in "/usr/bin/python"
> be hybrid Python 2/3 code, such that finally changing the default
> won't cause too much immediate breakage (and for things that do still
> break, the recommended fix will be code modernisation to get into the
> hybrid subset prior to upgrading the OS).

I like recommending /usr/bin/python be bilingual, but I’m wondering how you’ll enforce this, and what the implication is for running that at the command line.  Again, that gets to the UI/UX issue.

-Barry