[Linux-SIG] Revisit of PEP 394 -- The "python" Command on Unix-Like Systems

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 06:44:27 EDT 2017

On 26 July 2017 at 15:53, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There's unfortunately no completely non-disruptive way to manage this
>> shift (hence why it's taking so long), but we think this is a
>> reasonable approach that allows each distro to devise a migration plan
>> that makes sense for them and their userbase while still allow Python
>> end users to write readable cross-distro code that doesn't particular
>> care whether it's run under Python 2 or Python 3, and for open source
>> Python project maintainers to provide developer guidelines that are
>> entirely independent of particular distro's choices about default
>> Python runtimes.
>>
>> Before taking this proposal to python-dev, I'd turn the general
>> concept into an actual PR with specific proposed wording changes, but
>> I figured it made sense for us to seek some initial feedback here
>> before doing that.

Draft updated PEP is posted at https://github.com/python/peps/pull/315

I ended up proposing a replacement PEP to supersede 394, rather than
proposing changes to 394 itself.

It's essentially a PEP 394 superset that allows for a few more
"endorsed" configurations for redistributors (essentially saying
"Arch's move was ~5 years ahead of its time"), with more of an
emphasis on "What might a post-2020 sans-Python-2 platform release
look like?"

Structurally, it clearly separates the recommendations into 3 distinct
sets (ad hoc scripting, app development, and platform publication)

> Sounds good to me. (I'm not subbed to linux-sig, though perhaps I
> should be.) Did I get copied in on this for assistance with the PEP
> writing? In any case, I'm wholly in favour of the transition.

I'm not sure how you ended up receiving it, unless there's something
odd going on with the configuration of linux-sig-owner in the mail
server.

Cheers,
Nick.