[Linux-SIG] Introducing a Python launcher for *nix?

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Thu Oct 8 00:07:45 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Piotr Ozarowski <ozarow at gmail.com> wrote:
> If it's about letting users invoke any Python available (is pypy
> included here, BTW?), then why do you need -2 or -3 or worse: -X.Y?

I'm not sure what the original motivation for this proposal is; it
appears to have been on a different list.

The notion that a script is going to figure out which Python is the
right one just seems pretty strange to me.  When developing an
application, I know exactly which Python I want to use, and build that
application with that Python to begin with.  Any user-facing scripts
get the right sh-bang line to begin with. If I'm building a library,
I'm going to do things with several versions (tests can be driven with
tox, for example), but library users are going to know what version of
Python their application calls for, and they'll use it.

I may be missing something pretty obvious to many, though.  My
approaches to building an application don't appear to be commonly
applied in Python environments.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein