[Ironpython-users] Unicode

Pawel Jasinski pawel.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 23:18:27 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Vernon D. Cole <vernondcole at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how does it work in CPython 3.4?

As expected I guess:
Python 3.4.0 (default, Apr 11 2014, 13:05:11)
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux
>>> u"\U0001D4AE"
'𝒮'
I even get correct character on my terminal. Wow!

>>> import sys
>>> sys.maxunicode
1114111

This means python I have is compiled with UCS4
Looks like .net has surrogates and no direct UCS4 support. I guess we don't
have many alternatives.

> (That's where we should be headed. All of this fiddling with obscure str
> bugs in 2.7 is a bit of a waste, IMHO.)

It saves effort when working with generic python packages. Any fix of
"obscure" bytes conversion pays back.

 --pawel