[Ironpython-users] numpy in IronPython

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Sat May 31 16:23:12 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Steve Baer <steve at mcneel.com> wrote:

> I would definitely be interested in helping, but don't exactly know where
> to start. We have a lot of users who would love to get access to numpy on
> our OSX and 64bit windows versions of our product.  This is only going to
> become a bigger problem in the future since we will probably only have a
> 64bit version for Window in the next version of Rhino.

I agree. Let's start a serious discussion about how to solve the lack of
numpy in IronPython.

We could look into using ctypes (IronClad?) and wrap what already exists.

We could look into a cross-platform DLL drop-in replacement.

Between speed and compatibility, initially I'm most interested in
compatibility. But speed should be a long term goal.

We could write a pure-python prototype initially, and slowly move that to
C#, or another CLR language. That would be useful for all non-C-based
Python implementations, and would probably be quickest to write and test.

A related note: Python3 just added a new matrix multiplication operator
[1]. Hope to see more numpy-related functionality in standard Python in the
future.

Other ideas? Where to start?

-Doug

[1] - http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0465/