[Ironpython-users] IronPython 3 Update

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:26:10 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM, Vernon D. Cole <vernondcole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Jeff!!
>
> This is wonderful!  I have already cloned the new repo on my Windows
> development machine (such as it is, and old Windows 7 laptop) and will put
> it on my Ubuntu development machine (the one I work on daily) in a few
> minutes.
>
> Two questions remain that were not answered in the Readme:
>
> 1) What github workflow are we planning to use?  Everyone shares the same
> fork/repo and submits pull requests from his/her branch there?  Or each
> developer forks the project and submits pull reports from it?  I am more
> familiar with the second (having used it more) but many projects prefer the
> first.
>
>   [It would probably a good idea to turn on the github wiki and answer this
> in the repo.  I am willing to copy a suitable draft from another project and
> edit to fit, if that would be helpful. I really want to write a page for
> Ubuntu installation, as soon as I can figure out how to do it myself.]

I prefer the latter as well, since it's more keeping with GH's spirit,
and it's worked well for the existing repo. It's also how I prefer to
work :).

You're right, some developer docs would be nice. I need to figure out
how the permissions work to make sure everyone has access to the new
repo; I don't want to be the bottleneck approving pull requests.

> 2) What compilers and tool chains will be supported.  I presume the current
> MonoDevelop on Linux, but what on Windows?  My ability to work on a CPython
> project (pywin32) is severely hampered by not being able to obtain a
> suitably ancient C++ compiler.  I would hate to get in to a similar bind
> here. I have managed to get through life so far without ever having to buy
> Visual Studio and believe that we should maintain the ability to build using
> free tools.
> Looking at visualstudio.com it seems that the best viable candidate would be
> Express 2013 for Windows Desktop.
> Would that be the appropriate choice?

I haven't tried Express in a while so while I think it should work I'm
not sure. If not, MS does offer MSDN licenses to open source
developers, you just have to know the right person to talk to. At the
very least builds from the command line should work even without VS
installed.

MonoDevelop currently makes a bit of a mess of the project files (but
I think I have a workaround for that - the build system pushes the
limits of the interaction between MSBuild and VS as it is), but it
should build. The Makefile for running xbuild may also need to be
updated.

- Jeff