[Ironpython-users] mixed line ending in time.cs and nt.cs

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 14:16:42 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Pawel Jasinski <pawel.jasinski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Pawel Jasinski <
> pawel.jasinski at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I have checked IronLanguages main and ipy-2.7-maint
> >> Both have files with LF, CRLF and mixed. I don't want to touch the LF
> and
> >> CRLF.
> >> However the mixed files are recent introduction and pain to deal with.
> >> I will fix it with single commit and will not do the history rewriting
> >> unless someone give me good reason.
> >>
> >> I also checked ironpython3 and there are no mixed files.
> >> As a side effect of the check I did CRLF stats. I see most of the
> >> files committed with LF and 11 files with CRLF.
> >> Is this something to be fixed, nice to have or don't care?
> >

> > Ideally all files are LF, since those are handled everywhere (except
> > Notepad) properly. However, it's possible those files are intentionally
> CRLF
> > for some reason so I wouldn't blindly change them. I did that conversion
> on
> > a Mac, so that's probably why they're consistent. :)
>
> here is the list for ironpython3:
>
> ./Src/IronPython/Runtime/Binding/MetaPythonFunction.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython/Runtime/Binding/PythonBinder.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython/Runtime/PythonBuffer.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython/Runtime/PythonHiddenBaseClassAttribute.cs:
>               UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) text, with CRLF line
> terminators
> ./Src/IronPython/Runtime/Types/PythonType.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython.Modules/bz2/dotnetzip/BZip2/BitWriter.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython.Modules/bz2/dotnetzip/BZip2/BZip2Compressor.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython.Modules/bz2/dotnetzip/BZip2/Rand.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython.Modules/time.cs:
>               ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
> ./Src/IronPython.Modules/_csv.cs:
>               UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) text, with CRLF line
> terminators
> ./Src/IronPythonTest/EngineTest.cs:                     C source,
> ASCII text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators
>

> I tried first 3 and they are all on initial commit. Any particular
> reason to keep them CRLF?
> If not I will fix it.

Nope. If the unicode ones don't actually have Unicode characters in them
(besides the BOM), then they should be plain ASCII. dotnetzip is imported
from elsewhere, so leave it unchanged.

> > It's possible to configure autocrlf, but I don't know what the proper
> > setting should be.
>
> I will put together wiki with what I have found or better what "works for
> me".
>

> > Mixed files should not be there, though.
> >
> > - Jeff
>
> Since we are talking about cleanup and we have the one time
> opportunity, I would like to ask one more question:
>
> How about "no trailing spaces" rule?
> - obligatory
> - nice to have
> - who cares

If there's an automatic way to get rid of them, then do it. I'm not
particularly picky about it. Having tabs instead of spaces is much worse.

Per-project/solution formatting in VS would be very useful[1].

- Jeff

[1]
http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2089769-store-per-project-source-formatting-settings-with