[Ironpython-users] IronPython in IPython notebook/console

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 12:58:26 CEST 2014

If you haven't used IPython in a while, you might be surprised to find that
it can use a web browser as an IDE. They have separated out the frontends
of their interfaces (console, qtconsole, and notebook) from their backend
(called a kernel). We've written a kernel that allows our Calico system to
use any of our languages (including IronPython) through their frontends.

(This doesn't use the IPython Python codebase... we have written our own
interface in C#, which might be generally useful for IronPython.)

You can get a feel for how this works is by checking out some of our
notebooks:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/bitbucket.org/ipre/calico/raw/master/notebooks/SiteMap.ipynb

We don't have the nice pipeline provided by numpy and matplotlib, but we
are developing our own set of tools; see for example:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/bitbucket.org/ipre/calico/raw/master/notebooks/Python/Travelling%20Salesperson.ipynb

and easily getting camera images:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/bitbucket.org/ipre/calico/raw/master/notebooks/Python/CameraWidget.ipynb

We have full support for IPython 2.0 (just released) including the new
widgets. You can find out more information, and install directions here:

http://calicoproject.org/ICalico

If anyone has suggestions or ideas, please let us know!

-Doug