[Ironpython-users] .NET Foundation

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:39:34 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Keith Rome <rome at wintellect.com> wrote:

>   With the announcement today of .NET Foundation "umbrella" for all of
> Microsoft's open-sourced products, I am curious about what distinguishes
> the DLR/IronLanguages work from some of these others? Is it simply
> forgotten about by Microsoft, or is there some other reason it is left out
> as a black sheep? Or is it a conscious choice to stay disassociated with
> the Microsoft ecosystem as much as possible?
>
>  http://www.dotnetfoundation.org/

No idea, this is the first I've heard of it. I doubt IP has been completely
forgotten, but I do feel a bit like this
guy<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs>whenever a release
comes out.

I am having a hard time figuring out what the point of the .NET Foundation
is, though, other than "advancing the conversation". I tought they tried
this once with the CodePlex/Outercurve foundation and it didn't go anywhere.

>  From what I've seen, this set of repositories has been the most "open
> sourced" in the spirit of true open source - in that it relies heavily on
> (and accepts) pull requests from non-Microsoft persons. The others seem to
> often follow more of a "top down" contributions model.

The last change from an MS person (AFAIK) was Tomas' changes to make the
DLR work with .NET 4.5 Core, a couple of years ago now. Everything now is
from outside MS.

- Jeff