[Ironpython-users] .net 2.0?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 22:16:48 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM, rndbit <rndbit at nm.ru> wrote:

> Hello,
> I was wondering if ironpython still can be compiled for .net 2.0?
> Current binaries are all for 4.0 and code hits usage of features not
> available in 2.0. However faq claims 2.0 should be supported (at least
> as far as i understand it). So how is it? What would be minimal
> framework version that ipy can be compiled against?

The specific 2.0 version is no longer supported; it requires 3.5 because
there are a few uses of LINQ functions in the codebase, and ISTR there
being some other 3.5-only APIs that are used in the guts of the DLR as well.

Thanks to Microsoft's bizarre versioning scheme for .NET 2.0 to 3.5, there
are a few things that still refer to "v2" when they actually mean 3.5. 2.0
and 3.5 both use the 2.0 runtime, but add extra libraries in 3.0 and 3.5.

So in short: for now, 3.5 is the minimum version that is supported.

- Jeff