[Ironpython-users] not a Zip file error

Ian Gorse unigee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:18:36 CET 2013

Hello List,

I am having a very weird error when trying to execute a very simple
python script from within a C# 2010 express project
Everytime the application executes the script, It crashes with the
following error

IronPython.Runtime.Exceptions.ImportException crossed a native/managed boundary
not a Zip file

I have managed to break down the issue into a small sample application as below.

The project is a blank project, that only contains the following code:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting;
using IronPython.Hosting;

namespace WindowsFormsApplication1
{
    public partial class Form1 : Form
    {
        public Form1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

        private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            ScriptEngine engine;
            ScriptSource source;
            ScriptScope sys;
            ScriptScope scope;

            String filename = @"c:\tmp\test.py";
            engine = Python.CreateEngine();
            source = engine.CreateScriptSourceFromFile(filename);
            sys = Python.GetSysModule(engine);
            scope = engine.CreateScope();
            source.Execute();   // CRASHES HERE
        }
    }
}

and the test.py is even simpler

import sys
import clr

clr.AddReference('System.Xml')
from System.Xml import XmlDocument

clr.AddReference('System.Windows.Forms')
from System.Windows.Forms import MessageBox

Oddly, if I comment out the 'from....' lines, then no error appears.
What is even more confusing to me is that if I compile the application
and run it using executable file, no error appears.

My project was working fine 2 days ago, and the only change I made
yesterday was that I un-installed C# 2010 express, rebooted and
re-installed it.

Does anyone know what is going wrong with my project

Thanks