[Ironpython-users] memory fragmentation oder leak in ironpython program / I apologize

Peter Schwalm ps at peter-schwalm.de
Tue Dec 10 05:29:05 CET 2013

Hallo Slide,

thank you for your answer. I don't knwo if iTextSharp uses IDisposable.
I admit, I use it as a block box, but at least I suppose it's well
written, because I think it is a proven tool.

... and I apologize: I have found the mistake in my own code now. It was
a list which - unnecessarily - grew with every document and which was
worked upon rather costly. So I caused the problem myself. The program
has a constant throughput, and for now I'm happy.

But I still have no safe way to analyze such problems, and there are
still questions which I don't have an answer for:

Is ipy kosher in it's memory handling?
Where does this ever growing number of GCHandles (shown by sysinternals
procexp) come from? Can I simply ignore it?
Is it good practice to use explicit GC.Collect()-calls?

If anyone can share her/his experience in these fields, I would be happy.

Thanks in advance
Peter Schwalm