[Ironpython-users] debugging ipy.exe

Peter Schwalm ps at peter-schwalm.de
Sat Mar 3 17:58:39 CET 2012

Hello,

can anybody tell me how to debug ipy.exe in Visual Studio?

I downloaded the latest source version of ironpython with github, opened
the Visual Studio .sln file and selected IronPythonConsole (= ipy.exe)
as the start project.

Then I entered a test script in the command line arguments entry in
debug project properties.

The script (and ipy.exe) immediately terminates.

If I run the new compiled ipy.exe from the command line, the following
message appears:

d:\w7\gitHub\ipy\bin\Debug>ipy
d:\d\d0\versuche\ironPython\ipyInfra\myPyc2\test1.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "d:\w7\gitHub\ipy\bin\Debug\Lib\site.py", line 62, in <module>
ImportError: No module named osTraceback (most recent call last):
   File "d:\d\d0\versuche\ironPython\ipyInfra\myPyc2\test1.py", line 1,
in <module>
ImportError: No module named os
d:\w7\gitHub\ipy\bin\Debug>

In another environment a message "No module named osIronPython" appears
(I cannot reproduce this at the moment).

I looks as if can debug ipy.exe only if there is an existing ironPython
installation. I don't think this is a good idea because an existing
installation and a newly compiled ipy.exe might not work well together.

So: do I have to build a special testing environment for debugging
ipy.exe in VS?

Thank you
Peter Schwalm