[Ironpython-users] Distributing apps

mchalkley at mail.com mchalkley at mail.com
Fri Mar 2 18:33:44 CET 2012

Friday, March 2, 2012, 11:37:20 AM, you wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM,  <mchalkley at mail.com> wrote:
>> Apologies in advance for the newbie question, especially if this has
>> been covered 73 times already (I did spend a hour searching online and
>> in the IPy documentation before resorting to this mailing list)...

> It does come up once in a while, and maybe someday I'll write some
> documentation explaining how to do it. Also, it's a lot better in
> 2.7.2, so things have changed a bit in the last month.

>> I see the reference to the new pyc.py in the 2.7.2 beta, but I'm not
>> sure if that's what I need or how to use it.

> That's exactly what you need. What you want is something similar to:

> ipy %ipyroot%\Tools\Scripts\pyc.py /target:exe /standalone
> /main:foo.py bar.py etc.py

> Replace %ipyroot% with wherever you have IronPython installed. And let
> us know if it doesn't work for you, either.

>> Sorry for the long-winded question, but I just wanted to be clear that
>> I've gotten a ways and worked on this for a while, so if I'm missing
>> something really obvious, I'm going to be very embarrassed... :)

> No, it's not obvious, nor is it documented. It's one of things I'd
> like to see done before 2.7.2 final.

> - Jeff

Ok, thanks - that got me a long ways past where I was. The exe that it
builds doesn't include the standard python library stuff, like string,
even though it's in an import statement. So do I have to explicitly
include everything like that (datetime, sys, re, etc) in the pyc.py
command, or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks again,

Mark