[Ironpython-users] Modifying ASTs when embedding IronPython

Tuomas Utrecht tuomas.utrecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:31:01 CET 2012

Le 1 mars 2012 21:58, Curt Hagenlocher <curt at hagenlocher.org> a écrit :

> I would argue that this is a bad idea. How Python-compatible do you want
> this simple Excel-like language to be?

I have body of possible Excel formulas which are identical to Python
syntax, except for the use of ^.

> If it's really just a small subset of the full Python language, you may be
> better off writing a simple parser that emits Python text as its back end
> and prevents the users from doing anything more complicated.

At the point where I can generate an AST on my own, I may be better off not
even using Ipy. I'm hoping to leverage the work already done in this area.
The upside to Python is the introduction of new syntax/functionality, but
supporting the existing formulas is paramount.

> This should not be significantly more complex than what you propose to do.
> If you really want to offer the full power of the Python language, then you
> should consider whether you are doing your users a disservice by teaching
> them a language that's almost the same as Python, but different in just one
> minor and hard-to-debug respect.

As you know, it is difficult to encourage even programmers to learn new
programming languages. :)

The use case here is the ability to paste something from Excel into a C#
application for it to be run. Launching Excel from the application is an
obvious but undesirable solution due to some third-party plug-in
limitations, among other reasons.