[Ironpython-users] IronPython Mobile Support

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:42:33 CET 2012

The latest version of IronPython includes support for Android and
Window Phone 7.5 devices. These are some rough notes for anyone who's
interested:

Android
----------
Supports full code generation and almost every feature.

WP7
-----
Does not support creating types at runtime. The biggest limitation is
that you cannot inherit from .NET types (except System.Object). A lot
of platform pieces are also missing, like sockets.

iOS
---
Not supported - MonoTouch supports NO runtime code generation at all
(not even DynamicMethod). I need to look deeper to see if it's
possible to run without it.

Obviously, the limitations need to be spelled out better. My
inclination right now is to label the mobile platforms as "preview
only" for 2.7.2 and improve them for 2.7.3 (due in June). Those who
know these platforms better than I do, especially Android and WP7,
should still give them a spin and open issues for any difficulties
that they find.

And, as always, patches are welcome.

- Jeff