[Ironpython-users] Recommended IDE for IronPython on Linux? (Advise for the poverty stricken)

Dave Wald davew252 at tx.rr.com
Mon Sep 5 03:17:03 CEST 2011

On 9/4/2011 7:45 PM, Vernon Cole wrote:
> It looks like my next big project will be done in IronPython and
> Silverlight.
> But since my laptop runs Windows so poorly, and my student copy of
> Visual Studio is on a workstation 200 miles away, it seems that it
> might be a good idea to do the initial coding using Linux (which runs
> pretty well on the same laptop) and Moonlight.
>
> Q1) Is there an IDE which runs IronPython on Linux?
>
> Q2) If I do have to use Windows, is there an Express (that is free)
> compiler which will run the new IronPython integration stuff?
> --
> Vernon Cole

Vernon,
I think I've seen where some folks were running SharpDevelop on Mono
http://sharpdevelop.net/opensource/sd/
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:Linux

That should work for your C# coding...
And the Express version (and/or free VSX shell) MIGHT run on Mono. Don't
know.
As far as the Express versions of VisualStudio, last I heard,  they will
not host the Python Tools for Visual Studio, BUT...
you don't really need those anyway.
I had a link somewhere to an article on creating a "debug project" in
VS, where you basically just make a project out of the exe, and point
the debugger to it. Works fine, but I haven't done it in a good while...
If I run across it I'll drop you a line.

The free VSX Shell WILL host the tools, allowing for IronPython dev and
debugging, etc, I'm pretty sure, and it MAY run on Mono... not sure.
Haven't tried it myself.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1366

Best,
Dave