[Ironpython-users] IronPython Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 12:47:58 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 09:52 AM, Christopher Tottle wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>  Dose anybody know why IronPython has been removed from Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2? as it was in Beta 1
>>
>>  http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/332742
>
> IronPython was built from the dlr-languages source package, which wasn't updated
> for the current mono version, and did fail to build from source.
>
> See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dlr-languages/+bug/831402
>
> If you want to provide an update/patch, please file an issue in the Ubuntu bug
> tracker.

I'd really like to see dlr-languages in Ubuntu. The failure above is
from the IronRuby sources. I just built ironruby yesterday from git
with Mono 2.10.2, and worked fine for the regular config.

Does Ubuntu need an official release to be able to include
dlr-languages? Or can it be from current trunk?

BTW, there is this little issue for v2Release, which I sent to the
ironruby-core mailing list yesterday:

"""
When trying to build IronRuby for a v2Release under Mono 2.10.2, I'm
getting a failure:

% git clone https://github.com/IronLanguages/main.git IronLanguages
% cd IronLanguages
% xbuild Solutions/Ruby.sln /p:Configuration="v2Release"
Builtins/RangeOps.cs(307,17): error CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert
type `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<IronRuby.Builtins.MutableString>'
to `System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<object>'. An explicit
conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

Building for the regular configuration is fine.
"""

Which looks like an easy fix. Then there could be a common
dlr-languages release for v2 and v4. (I also have a patch that makes
dlr-languages build under Mono 2.6.7, which was a reason the iron
languages couldn't be added earlier, as that was the version of Mono
they were using).

-Doug