[Ironpython-users] Metro Profile support

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 23:14:36 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Steve Dower <s.j.dower at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given IronPython runs on Mono/*nix as-is (ie. lack of PInvokes), there
> shouldn't be too much preventing it from being hosted in a managed
> Metro app, depending on exactly which .NET APIs have been removed --
> there will be WinRT substitutes for these. The entry point is
> important to get the proper message loops running, otherwise the async
> APIs won't work properly.

The big concern is the lack of Reflection.Emit support in Metro, and
whether enough of the DLR is included in the Metro profile to not need
it. It does mean that ctypes won't work, but I'm not sure what else
without doing a deeper look.

If we need a C# hosting stub, that's fine, and easy enough to provide.
If you and Dino would be so kind as to bake it into PTVS, that'd be
icing on the cake :).

- Jeff