[IronPython] Problems running simple executable compiled with the pyc.py tool

iiyo cc iiyocc at gmail.com
Fri May 6 18:56:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

I keep coming up with the same problem when trying to run a compiled
executable from the pyc.py tool. The error I'm getting is as follows:

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannon find
> the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
> at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence
> evidence)
> at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
> at PythonMain.Main()

My file is a simple Hello, World! program saved as Program.py with the
following contents:

print 'Hello, World!'

I use the following command line to compile:

C:\IronPy\ipy C:\IronPy\Tools\Scripts\pyc.py Program.py /out:Program
> /main:Program.py /target:exe

Note: I'm using the latest 2.7 release through the IronPython installer on a
Windows 7 64bit system, the executables are built (Program.dll and
Program.exe) successfully, yet won't run even when sitting in the same
directory as all the dlls one can find in the IronPython distribution. I've
also tried targeting the x64 platform specifically with pyc, but to no
avail. Here's what my working directory looks like when the project is
built:

IronPython.dll, IronPython.Modules.dll, IronPython.Wpf.dll,
> Microsoft.Dynamic.dll, Microsoft.Scripting.dll,
> Microsoft.Scripting.Metadata.dll, Program.dll, Program.exe, Program.py

Hopefully someone knows what's going on, or if i'm doing something wrong.
Thanks.