[IronPython] Building IronPython/IronRuby for Mono?

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:47:03 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Vernon Cole <vernondcole at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need a solution for general installs. Perhaps a stand-alone Mono
>> 2.10 install will work, if I can't build IronPython 2.7 on Mono 2.10,
>> and then run with Mono 2.6.7...
>
> I think that the http://apebox.org/wordpress/linux/370/ link will end
> up being the solution.
> I just looked at it. It is written by Jo Shields (directhex), who is a
> member of the Debian mono team, IIUC.

I read that (and the comments) and it is very useful.

It seems that this is a common problem for many of us using Mono
cross-platform, as today on another mailing list a note was sent about
the same ideas:

http://chrismarinos.com/f-on-ubuntu-linux-with-mono-and-monodevelop/

This version has a script for moving between mono versions, and the
first link has a method for falling back to the standard, I think.

> Among other useful things, he says: "This guide does NOT take startup
> scripts into account – it’s your problem to ensure you’re using the
> correct “mono” command to run your copy of MonoDevelop or Tomboy or
> whatever."
>
> The good news is: we may have an answer for that.  I have in my
> possession a pre-release copy of an as-yet unnumbered PEP by Mark
> Hammond. Mark is going to propose a python launcher program for
> Windows, so that it will obey a "shebang" command to launch one of
> multiple versions of python.

Cool!

-Doug