[IronPython] Reading from a open excel document

Nåjde Henrik henrik.najde at volvo.com
Thu Mar 17 13:30:21 CET 2011

Thanks a lot Bruce !
That solved my problem :)

Jeff:
I dont really know what I am talking about but anyway:
This scritp dosent access the actual .xls file itself, instead it communicates with the excel application telling it what to to with the sheet.

The code now looks like this and works just fine. If I hade the time i would try to learn more about the correct syntax for accessing cells since this script probably can be done in a better way. That would probably also alow me to transfer parametrs from ansys to excel (that is not working now) but I dont think I am going to have any need for that so Ill just let it be. Once again thanks for the help

/Henrik

- - - - - - - - - S C R I P T - - - - - - - - -

# IronPython imports to enable Excel interop, this file shows how a parameter is exported from excel to workbench
# Modified versin that enables interaction with the active sheet in a an open workbook

import clr
clr.AddReference("Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel")

from System.Runtime.InteropServices import Marshal
Excel = Marshal.GetActiveObject("Excel.Application")

def updateHandler():

 #Define Key ranges in the Workbook
 ExcelCell_A = worksheet.Range["A3"].Text
 ExcelCell_B = worksheet.Range["B3"].Text

 #Get The Workbench Parameters
 # P1,P2,... not the "Name"
 lengthParam_A = Parameters.GetParameter(Name="P1")
 lengthParam_B = Parameters.GetParameter(Name="P2")

 #Assign values to the input parameters
 lengthParam_A.Expression = ExcelCell_A

 #Run the project update
 Update()

 #Update the workbook value from the WB parameter, !!dosent work!!
 ExcelCell_B = lengthParam_B

#Select the workbook and worksheet
workbook=Excel.ActiveWorkbook
worksheet=Excel.ActiveSheet