[Ironpython-users] IronPython 2.7.1 Beta coming this weekend

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 09:04:12 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Markus Schaber
<m.schaber at 3s-software.com> wrote:
> Fine, I'm looking forward to it. Is this release still compileable using
> .NET 2.0?

It should be, although I haven't tested that lately.

>> The main reason for this release is to get the newly supported modules
>> (unicodedata, _ast, csv) and the updated stdlib (from CPython 2.7.2)
> out
>> there to see if there are no major issues.
>>
>> IronPython 2.7,1 will have the same assembly version as 2.7, so it
> should
>> be a drop-in replacement.
>
> I'm not really sure whether using the same assembly version is a good
> idea - in my experience, having different versions of the file using the
> same assembly version can lead to some confusions.
>
> But maybe the drop-in character outweighs the disadvantages.

Yeah, it's a tradeoff, but I'm pretty firmly on the drop-in side for
point releases. I don't want to have to push out another NWSGI update
for 2.7.1. There shouldn't be any breaking changes at the assembly
level, so we can leave the version unchanged without issues.

I figure if MS can do it with the .NET service packs, then we can too. :)

- Jeff