[Ironpython-users] Compiling IronPython for .NET 2.0

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:01:13 CEST 2011

I am using this as a renewal of my request/suggestion that we revisit
the decision to not supply a .NET 2.0 version of IronPython 2.7.
  The current shipping version of Ubuntu has the .NET 2.0 compatible
version of MONO, and cannot easily be upgraded.  It cannot be used to
build IronPython, so users are under the necessity to cross-compile
using another OS, then copy the result to their Ubuntu systems.  (This
also blocks the Ubuntu maintainers from releasing a current version of
IronPython -- since their rules require that release packages be built
on the release platform -- so the built-in software installer loads on
obsolete IPy.)
   I am tracking the release process for Ubuntu 11.10 in an attempt to
lobby them into using a more current MONO implementation, but even
given the rapid release cycle of Ubuntu, it will be next year before
that release is in general use.

  I know this sounds like noise to a Windows focused group. After all,
how much market share of users run Ubuntu, you ask?  Not many, I will
admit.  But the percent of Python *developers* who use Ubuntu was
staggering even to me, a member of that group.  In a meeting of the
Utah Python Users Group a few months ago, I took an informal survey of
operating systems on the laptops in the room.  There were two Macs. My
dual-boot Dell was the only thing with Windows on it.  The rest of the
room, about 18 units, was Linux -- mostly Ubuntu, which was
surprising, given that this is the home of SUSE.

I use Windows on two occasions:
1) when I am working on a contract where Windows is the only choice.
2) when watching movies on Netflix.

The Netflix viewer is a Silverlight application, and there are
versions which run on Linux -- both my smart phone and my set-top box
run it on Android, which is a distribution of Debian Linux. Some dork
in Hollywood refuses to license the viewer on general releases of
Linux. This is frustrating to the development team, who are -- you
guessed it -- Ubuntu users.

Is my point getting across?
--
Vernon